Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Plastic Adirondack Chair Gets New Life

Inexpensive plastic Adirondack chair found in the shed needed a face lift.  Years of grime had built up on it, so  I washed it down with one of those cleaners with bleach and let it dry over night.  Using a fine sanding block I lightly sanded the area I wanted to paint to rough it up and bit. Since I never painted anything like this before, I hoped the light sanding would help the paint stick. 

I painted the picture with regular acrylic craft paint and let that dry for two days.

Then sprayed it with an acrylic sealer. I put five coats of the sealer on because this would be left outside all summer.  I'd recommend this be stored in a shed or garage during the winter months.

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog. New subscriber. How did this chair work out? Did paint fade in the sun? Lovely job. Thanks for sharing.MJ in NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. The paint stayed good. I think the 5 coats of sealer helped. Usually i do one or two coats, but I wanted to make sure it had a good seal. If water gets in at any point all the paint will start to lift.
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete